Topic 1: Strategic Performance Measurement Systems
This topic looks at Strategic Performance Measurement Systems, especially the linking of financial control systems with process based control systems. Some Key Questions to ask in the strategic refocusing of Performance Measurement Systems are discussed, and the recognition of frameworks such as the Balanced Scorecard in linking financial and strategic performance measures are specifically considered.
- Traditional Performance Measurement Systems
- Strategic Performance Perspectives :The Link Between Competitive Positioning and Shareholder Value
- The Balanced Scorecard
- Process Based Performance Measurement and Control Systems
- Integrating Financial and Process Controls and Performance Measures
- Coefficients to Link Non-Financials to Financials
Topic 2: Benchmarking Financial Planning Systems
This topic discusses in depth ‘Benchmarking’ which is the formal process of measuring and comparing a company’s operations, products and services against those of top performers, both within and outside that company’s primary industry.
- Becoming a ‘World Class’ Competitor
- The Benchmarking Process
- In house vs Using Consultants
- Examples of World’s Best Practice
- A Benchmarking MIS using Activity Based Costing (ABC)
Topic 3: Strategic Scorecards
This topic focuses on corporate success, and the role of non-financial indicators in measuring and controlling this success. The importance of monitoring both the internal and external environment is highlighted, especially in terms of a firm’s ‘critical success factors’. Finally, the strategic consequences of having intangible assets such as Brands and Human Capital is considered.
- Information for Strategic Analysis: Where Accountants Fail
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and Critical Success Factors
- Information Frameworks for Balanced Performance Analysis
- Executive Information Systems (EISs) for Open-Book Accounting
- Comprehensive Catalogue of Non-Financial Indicators (NFIs)
- Balanced Scorecard Simulation Exercise
Topic 4: Environmental and Social Management Accounting
Environmental and Social Management Accounting [also known as Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) and Triple Bottom-line Accounting (TBL)] is changing the way organisations go about their business. This topic explores what is meant by the “triple bottom line” and what it means for organisations, now and in the future. The need for integrated management accounting reports are discussed; and the impact of climate change and carbon emissions trading on Cost and Management Accounting is specifically considered.
- Accounting for Sustainable Development
- The Steps in Establishing Social Accounting Reporting
- The climate change and carbon emissions trading on Strategic Cost Management (SCM) and Strategic Management Accounting (SMA).
- Environmental and Social Management Accounting: The Wider Issues
Topic 5: Strategic Governance and the Strategic Audit
This topic first overviews the corporate governance structure which specifies the distribution of rights and responsibilities among different participants in the corporation, such as, the board, managers, shareholders and other stakeholders, and spells out the rules and procedures for making decisions on corporate affairs. Areas of both structural governance and strategic governance are compared and contrasted. Finally, it considers assurance issues using ‘leading’ rather than ‘lagging’ indicators, via the Strategic Audit.
- Corporate Governance Approaches
- Structural and Strategic Governance
- Role of the External Auditor in the New Reporting Paradigms
- The Role of the Strategic Audit